Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Leah Claney

I worked in my High School cafeteria my sophomore year. My boss was Leah Claney. She also happened to be one of the matriarchs of my Church. She had a very specific way to do things. When you didn't do them her way, she would tell you!

I was in charge of scooping the french fries into the little paper shelves and then weighing them (they have to be within an ounce or two of the specified weight) and then placing them in a tray for serving.

When I began, my process was sloppy and slow. The pressure was on to serve as many students as possible with the hottest fries. Time was of the essence.   

I can still hear Leah today (some 36 years later!) sternly asking, "why handle it twice?" She was right! I don't think I truly appreciated Leah's wisdom then, but I sure do now. There are ways I can become more efficient with my time and the way I manage certain processes...why add unneeded steps? 

Thanks Leah for this valuable lifelong lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment