Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Teachers

My mainstay daily devotion is a book called "Openings." I love it!

One of the exercises recently was to think about who my teachers are in my "University of Life."

I will probably come back to this list as my thinking evolves in this area.

My current list of who teaches me:

Music--Marti...vocal performance major at Northwestern, sang the National Anthem as a Cubs game, can play the piano like nobody else!

Ministry--Rev. Charles Curtis. Teacher of my Confirmation class. Pastor to my family during some dark times. Always available to encourage and challenge me. And we were roommates together on a pilgrimage we made to the Holy Land when I was in Jr. High (I know, I know...the early 80s had different rules...our Safe Sanctuary policy today would not allow this!). He helped me remember my Baptism in the Jordan River and it was at that point I knew that I was being called to be an Elder in the UMC. 

Theology--Rev. Dr. Brian Witwer. No better Wesleyan thinker than Brian. I learned so much in the 12 years I worked with him at Aldersgate.

Running--Team Hoyt; read about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Hoyt

Military Chaplaincy--Ch (Col) Greg Clapper (retired). My first Wing Chaplain. A great balance between "pastor" and "officer"

My knucklehead tendencies--no experiences are ever wasted if we allow them to teach us to become better...I must be a slow study, but I am making progress!

My sister Kathy and brother Kenneth--they suffered much and died way too young. Life is tenuous. 

My sons Josh and Nathan--they have and continue to teach me about myself and offered me a whole new perspective on the world.

Rev. Sue Laurie--with grace and persistence, she tremendously helped me overcome my homophobia and made me realize the love of God equally loves all...period. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Openings-2nd-Daybook-Saints-Practices/dp/159473545X

    ReplyDelete