Monday, September 30, 2019

Light Foot

I attended an evening Taize service recently in a Catholic Church in the Terre Haute area. It was wonderful and I plan to go back.

As I sat down, I immediately noticed that the large crucifix had just the feet of Jesus illuminated.  I thought, "that is odd, is today some special feast day recalling the annotating the feet of Jesus and thus they have a special light affixed on his feet?"

I didn't think much about it until I later looked up and saw the light had traveled up his leg and pretty soon it was on his stomach. I thought, "these Catholics have a very dynamic lighting system!"

It wasn't until the end of worship when the light had traveled up to his heart that I realized that I was in an East facing sanctuary and the light traveling up Jesus was actually the sun going down behind me and coming in a window!

Knowing Church architects, I don't put it past them to have designed it for this very purpose. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

It is an even greater truth to behold...the more we participate in good worship, the more the heart of Jesus Christ is illuminated in our life.

As my wife would say, "that will preach!"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very powerful to witness & then the realization of how it happened, Wow

    ReplyDelete