Monday, November 18, 2019

Basketball

I love basketball! I love being from THE home of basketball...KANSAS!!! Dr. Naismith (inventor of Basketball) is buried in Lawrence, KS for a reason. Fun fact...Dr. Naismith was also a National Guard Chaplain, but that is probably a different post.

As I have said elsewhere, I have gotten back into basketball officiating as a way to stay active and relieve stress this winter. I have done a few games already and I have realized how much I have missed being on the court.

The last official game I worked was Feb., 2007. But just like riding a bike it has all come back to me. As a bonus, I get to see parts of Indiana I have never seen. Have you ever heard of Switz City, IN? I have and I have worked a girl's varsity game there!

There are many things I cannot control when I walk out onto the court: fan behavior, coaching antics and player attitudes come to mind.

The amount of what I can't control has not stopped me from taking control of what I can control. Some of the things I have committed to control this season are:

  • No other official is going to out hustle me
  • No other official, coach, player or fan is going to know the rules better than me
  • No other official is going to be in better shape than me
  • No one on the court with me is going to have more fun than me (life is too short not to enjoy the things I elect to do!) 
Some of these things are still in a work in process (I have realized I need to spend more time in the rule books)...but these are the things I can totally control and I refuse to not take ownership of those things.

What about you? What do you intentionally control in situations where you don't have a lot control? 

No comments:

Post a Comment