Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Silence

I have started a new discipline of embracing more silence in my life. We live in a noisy world and we will never truly connect to Christ until we make friends with silence (I believe my favorite Catholic Theologian, Thomas Merton, said something like this).

Silence comes to us as so foreign because we have lied to ourselves that noise is good and silence is bad. It is in silence that I meet my true self. It is in silence that I have any hope of listening to the Spirit's call upon my life.

How about you? How friendly are you with silence?

Of course there are different types of silence (getting/giving the "silent treatment" is not what I am talking about).

How about giving yourself an early Christmas gift by making space for more Holy silence in your life?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! Silence is good and we don't spend enough time without technology and TV!

    ReplyDelete